Wednesday, 23 April 2014


So I've been working on branding work for my universities send of year show. The universities show encompassing all of the faculties is 'flourish'. The animation department however want to do something a bit different. They are considering twisting the theme slightly into 'mutation'. I've had a lot of ideas for both themes. I started with flourish. My boyfriend is also working on some ideas for the uni. We talked about a flowing art nouveau style. I took it quite literally and tried to create a slightly more bold and graphic version of the Alphonse Mucha style. I'm reasonably happy with the outcome, not completely. I wonder if it's too graphic, if the colours are to bold and could have done with being slightly more subtle. Anyway, these are the steps I took towards the final image.

So this is the initial sketch of the layout. I didn't want to fill the page with a full Mucha style poster with borders and an intricate background. I wanted it to have an authentic Mucha look but I also wanted it to feel more like a logo. 

I added text with an authentic nouveau font.
I felt that the space in the bottom corner by the girls shoulder was a little sparse. I also hadn't been able to fit the possible title of the show. I added another semi circle which follows the curve of the hair at the bottom of the design.
I inked the design using my black Japanese brush pen and fine liners for the smaller details.
 I coloured the design in pro and Copic marker. I kept it flat as I wanted to keep the design graphic. I gave the design a spring colour pallet as this seemed the most appropriate pallet for the theme of spring. I am happy with the colouring on the girl but concerned that the blue and the pink are too bold. They could maybe do with being less saturated.
I added a little definition with coloured pencil using dashed strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment